Saturday, June 8, 2013

Preparing

I'm preparing for the surgery.

Told my coworkers, who are very supportive.  Bought my vitamins that I'll take everyday for the rest of my life.  This isn't that big a deal, because I already take 18 pills a day, so what are a few more?  Bought about a 6 week supply of protein powder which I'll mix with milk after surgery but must mix with water (blech) for two weeks before surgery.

Talked to both my sister and brother, who seem willing and able to support my "all liquid" diet of protein powder mixed with water,  sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles for the entire time we are on our multi-family beach vacation at the beginning of July.  Told them I may not feel strong enough to join them at mealtimes and they totally get it.  My sister,  in particular, is saying all the right things.  She said her main fear is that I'll change my mind because she thinks this is such a good plan.  The fact that she's a physician put extra weight on that statement.

The benefits manager at work wanted me to fill out FMLA papers "just in case" something goes wrong intraoperatively or early in recovery.  Initially, I was pretty ticked off by this, because I really believe that if I think good thoughts and do everything I'm supposed to do, everything will be fine.  To be honest, I'm scared to death.  I've had many surgeries before and don't really worry about anesthesia, but any surgery is risky. This is my first surgery since my stroke, and I'll need to be off my antiplatelets for a week beforehand.  What if I throw a clot up to that stent in my brain and wake up decidedly not me? These are thoughts I'd successfully suppressed until the FMLA issue came up.  Husband, ever the voice of reason, pointed out that it is her job to watch out for me and she is trying to protect my job.  Hmmph.

This past week I went to my first bariatric surgery support group and had a nice chat afterward with a man who is 2 years postop (and has maintained a 100 pound loss) and a woman who is jumping her insurance hurdles and hopes to have a surgery date scheduled soon.  We are now Facebook friends and will see each other at future meetings.

The best thing I've done is ordering a jog bra and bikini swim bottoms so I can take very, very realistic before photos.  I'll never show them to anybody, but I want them for me.  By the way, in case you are curious, it's pretty difficult to find bikini swim bottoms in my size.  The only pair I found is leopard print.  That's another reason I'll not show them to anyone else!

You know how it is when you're excited about something so that's all you can think or talk or write about?  Yeah.  I'm there.  Sorry to be annoying.

Tomorrow we're singing one of my favorite anthems at church, and I will thank God for leading me to this decision.  Here's a link to a video of this song, though our choir director assures us that we sing it better.




6 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best for your surgery and recovery. I'm still trying to do it the old fashioned way and will follow along wondering if this is the step should take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have a feeling this will all fall into place for you. Crossing my fingers. So proud of you for taking this step, and doing so honestly. HUGS!
    Jean (aka Lois G.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! I am almost 5 years out, and I would do it all again in a heart beat. There have been a few bumps in the road along the way, but nothing too crazy. I am actually pregnant with my second since the surgery. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you. You are going to feel amazing. Surgery is going to go great. God is in control. My grandmother is just over a year out. She looks fantastic and loving every second of it. She too was nervous as she had a complex medical history including CAD and post-CABG. It's a HUGE lifestyle change but you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see new entries from ya... Prayers on board for this upcoming surgery - all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers coming your way. Thanks for blogging again.

    ReplyDelete

Me loves comments!