Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sixteen Days Before Surgery

Since last I posted, I've been preparing emotionally for the gastric bypass surgery.  I've treated myself to a "Farewell to Buffets" tour, making sure I hit the Italian and Chinese food buffets I've befriended over the past few years.  I've joined Facebook support groups and and read books written by people who have gone through this.  I've told everyone I know that I'm preparing, because that's gotta help.

Workwise, things are going well.  There are administrative changes at the university that shouldn't affect me too much.  I'm concentrating on doing the best job I can for my students and patients and trying not to make too much eye contact with anyone, hoping to skate by unnoticed.  

The family is so supportive it almost hurts.  Husband is doing whatever I need him to do.  He knows I'm scared, but we don't talk about what could go wrong.  We talk instead about all the things I'll be able to do when I shed even 50 pounds.  When I start my liver shrinking diet Tuesday, he is starting a liquid diet too to support me.  Completely unnecessary, but I appreciate the thought. 

Tomorrow I go for my last visit before the surgery, which is scheduled 2 weeks from Tuesday.  I'll meet with the surgeon again, the nurses and talk about protein shakes and vitamins again.  I have everything I need.  I'm ready.

This afternoon, I posed for before photos.   The bottoms are swimwear size 4X, and the top is a size 50 DD jog bra. I'll be taking these every three months and can't wait to see the change this surgery will enable me to make.

(This is where I initially posted very revealing photos of my body - but then I freaked out and removed the photos.  Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to repost them.)

Here's to a healthy me!

8 comments:

  1. That is pretty much what my body looked like at 350, but I did not have the guts to photograph myself. You are an inspiration right there. I wish you the best. You took the first step in admitting the problem, no you can face it head on. Do well and be proud of the next set of photos!
    Chrsity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you! Will be praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are inspiring so many people.Good luck in your journey to a healthier you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending many prayers and good wishes your way as you embark on this journey. Please keep us posted whenever that's feasible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - sixteen days. Will be praying before, during, and after. Like Kristina said, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a strong and beautiful woman. You are doing this for the right reasons and you can do this. I'm glad that you have so much support. I will be praying for you over the next several months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I got back "on plan" w/my own low-carb mishmash of the Eades' "Protein Power"/paleo/primal diet; hopefully we can support each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off we don't need to see the before photos. I know you are beautiful regardless of the size. I'm so thrilled that you have so much support around you! I hope the liquid protein diet helps you out.

    I'm so excited for you and so proud of you for putting this out here. As someone who battled weight issues all her life, I know what you're going through.

    Please post before your surgery to remind us out there... That way we can pray for you and send good vibes. Okay?

    ReplyDelete

Me loves comments!