Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Two Steps Forward, One Back

Felt a little ill when I went to work last Wednesday.  Abdominal cramps, figured I'd picked up a virus. Went to various meetings, stayed fairly busy.  Was teaching 40 minute small groups from 1-5 when the vomiting started.  Left work at 3 (thanks to an understanding department chair who took over for my teaching duties) and by 9pm I was admitted to the hospital with a small bowel obstruction.  That's obstruction of the small bowel, not a small bowel obstruction.  No, there was nothing small about it. And while I try not to whine too much when I'm sick, I drew the line when I started puking flecks of poop.  That was definitely worthy of loud whining.

Anyhoo, surgery went well and (SCORE!) they repaired my hernia with mesh.  Here I thought I'd have to lose a bunch more weight to have that happen, but apparently the "temporary" hernia repair contributed to this obstruction, so I got a "permanent" repair.

Husband was able to delay his trip to Zurich, so when he left, he knew I was going to be OK.  I'm sure it was horrible for him traveling with his wife in the hospital, but I forced him to go.  New job and all.

Yeah, there were a couple of postop happenings that resulted in my being there for six nights, but it's all in the past.  Mom brought me home yesterday afternoon and there had been a transformer issue in our neighborhood, so we gathered up the kids from their schools and had a campout at Grandma's house.

Before I end this post, I have to give a big huge shout out thank you to my colleagues.  They looked at my schedule and divvied everything up so I don't have any responsibilities through the end of September.  My chair said that if I am cleared to come back earlier and want to try some teaching, I can do that, and then if I only go 15 or 20 minutes, the "back up" will take over.  I feel very supported.

So now I'm trying to get caught up on charting I should have done two weeks ago.  Or maybe I should take a nap first. After that, I'll probably need another nap.  Good day, dearies.

4 comments:

  1. Hugs. Gentle ones until that surgery area heals. Glad to hear you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just getting caught up on things here. So glad to hear your work is covered through Sept. Rest and heal well. Despite the bumps, it sounds like things are going well. (Seriously awesome about the hernia repair.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our gratitude to your colleagues for helping you out. Rest well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on the permanent mesh hernia repair! Flecks of poop = SERIOUS reflux ;-)
    Sorry, you know I'm not making light of your troubles. Hope you are well on the road to recovery now...
    (just got back from vacay)

    ReplyDelete

Me loves comments!